Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t find an answer here, please contact us.
The following points describe how to prepare various kinds of art works for display.
Wall-hung paintings, photographs, limited edition prints and fabric art:
- All art works must be framed or suitably prepared for hanging. No clip frames allowed.
- For art mounted on foam core, please use specialized aluminum clips available from framing supply outlets.
- Art works require a metal wire at the back, secured by screws on the sides one third from the top; wire to be approximately 2.5 inches (up to 4 inches for large works) from centre top.
- Frames and matting must be clean and in good condition.
- Wrapped canvases must be painted on the sides with no staples showing.
- Oil paintings must be dry and odour free.
- For open shows and large group shows, the size limit for art works is 24 x 36 inches or 864 square inches framed.
- For collective and solo shows, there is no size limit for art works, provided there is sufficient space.
Sculptures, ceramics and fabric art:
- Must be stable and not require supports.
- Acceptable, provided the print reproduced is an original painting or photograph created by the artist.
Participation in open and established group shows:
- For open shows, each artist is allowed to enter one piece.
- For an established group show, participants of 20 or fewer artists may display more than one art work as required to fill the space.
The artist or group contact prepares a press release with photographs, distributes promotional posters and holds a reception.
Prepare a Press Release
- Prepared by the artist, with a length of approximately 350 words.
- Content to include name of the artist or group, the show title and description, dates of the show, date and time of the reception, and if a draw will be held for an art piece/other prize.
- For a collective or solo artist show, provide an artist statement, sources of artistic inspiration, and other relevant information.
- If an established group, provide information about the group’s history and what sparks their artistic endeavours.
- Include six photographs of artworks that will be in the show.
- Email the press release and photographs to the Publicity Coordinator.
- The Show Coordinator will provide your promotional posters and a list of where to post them.
Hold a Reception
- The artist or group is required to host a reception, or a meet and greet, in conjunction with their art show.
- Receptions are held on the first Saturday afternoon after a show start.
- The gallery can provide a card table, a large folding table, tablecloths, coffee urn and punch bowl.
- The artist or group supplies any finger foods, (we suggest assortment of crackers, sliced meat, cheese, cookies, cake or bars, coffee, tea, cream, sugar, punch
- ingredients or juice). Also supply cups, glasses, plates (no Styrofoam please) and napkins. Background music is acceptable.
- Liquor is not allowed.
Please bring your art work to the gallery on the Monday, one day prior to show opening, between 10 am and 11 am.
- If the Monday is a holiday, please confirm the drop off date and time with the Show Coordinator.
- Your art work can be picked up on the last Saturday of the show, at 3:00 pm. Please arrange to have someone else pick up your pieces if you cannot be at the gallery that day.
The Pearl Ellis Gallery offers two bursaries to eligible grade 12 students completing Grade 12 within School District No. 71 – Comox Valley.
- The deadline for applications is April 15th. For more details and to download a bursary application form, go to Bursaries.
Email to email@example.com the following information:
- your name
- studio name (if you have one)
- phone/cell number or whatever method you want people to use to contact you
- Send a brief biography of 2-3 paragraphs about yourself. Look at what others have done on the website and try and follow a similar pattern.
- You may also have 2-3 photos. Send photos in .jpg format please as attachments (1920px wide @ 188dpi is preferred). Do not embed them in your document or email.\
- If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
When you are sending images to be used on this website or for an email to members, please use the following format.
When sending files, please follow these conventions.
- All lower case
- Use hyphens between words, no spaces or underscores
- Do NOT use
# $ * & @ ‘ % : / \ ? ! ;All these characters have special meaning.
Image Size and Resolution
- Send photos in .jpg or .png format (1920px wide @ 188dpi is preferred)
- Please send as attachments
- Do not embed them in your document or email
Our Annual General Meeting was held on April 29th 2023.