Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t find an answer here, please contact us.
The following points describe how to prepare various kinds of art works for display.
Wall-hung paintings, photographs, limited edition prints and fabric art:
- All art works must be framed or suitably prepared for hanging. No clip frames allowed.
- For art mounted on foam core, please use specialized aluminum clips available from framing supply outlets.
- Art works require a metal wire at the back, secured by screws on the sides one third from the top; wire to be approximately 2.5 inches (up to 4 inches for large works) from centre top.
- Frames and matting must be clean and in good condition.
- Wrapped canvases must be painted on the sides with no staples showing.
- Oil paintings must be dry and odour free.
- For open shows and large group shows, the size limit for art works is 24 x 36 inches or 864 square inches framed.
- For collective and solo shows, there is no size limit for art works, provided there is sufficient space.
Sculptures, ceramics and fabric art:
- Must be stable and not require supports.
- Acceptable, provided the print reproduced is an original painting or photograph created by the artist.
Participation in open and established group shows:
- For open shows, each artist is allowed to enter one piece.
- For an established group show, participants of 20 or fewer artists may display more than one art work as required to fill the space.
The artist or group contact prepares a press release with photographs, distributes promotional posters and holds a reception.
Prepare a Press Release
- Prepared by the artist, with a length of approximately 350 words.
- Content to include name of the artist or group, the show title and description, dates of the show, date and time of the reception, and if a draw will be held for an art piece/other prize.
- For a collective or solo artist show, provide an artist statement, sources of artistic inspiration, and other relevant information.
- If an established group, provide information about the group’s history and what sparks their artistic endeavours.
- Include six photographs of artworks that will be in the show.
- Email the press release and photographs to the Publicity Coordinator.
- The Show Coordinator will provide your promotional posters and a list of where to post them.
Hold a Reception
- The artist or group is required to host a reception, or a meet and greet, in conjunction with their art show.
- Receptions are held on the first Saturday afternoon after a show start.
- The gallery can provide a card table, a large folding table, tablecloths, coffee urn and punch bowl.
- The artist or group supplies any finger foods, (we suggest assortment of crackers, sliced meat, cheese, cookies, cake or bars, coffee, tea, cream, sugar, punch
- ingredients or juice). Also supply cups, glasses, plates (no Styrofoam please) and napkins. Background music is acceptable.
- Liquor is not allowed.
Please bring your art work to the gallery on the Monday, one day prior to show opening, between 10 am and 11 am.
- If the Monday is a holiday, please confirm the drop off date and time with the Show Coordinator.
- Your art work can be picked up on the last Saturday of the show, at 3:00 pm. Please arrange to have someone else pick up your pieces if you cannot be at the gallery that day.
The Pearl Ellis Gallery offers two $900 bursaries to eligible grade 12 students completing Grade 12 within School District No. 71 – Comox Valley.
- The deadline for applications is April 15th. For more details and to download a bursary application form, go to Bursaries.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org the following information:
- your name
- studio name (if you have one)
- phone/cell number or whatever method you want people to use to contact you
- Send a brief biography of 2-3 paragraphs about yourself. Look at what others have done on the website and try and follow a similar pattern.
- You may also have 2-3 photos. Send photos in .jpg format please as attachments (1920px wide @ 188dpi is preferred). Do not embed them in your document or email.\
- If you have any questions, email Member Services Coordinator, Paul Gillmore: email@example.com
When you are sending images to be used on this website or for an email to members, please use the following format.
When sending files, please follow these conventions.
- All lower case
- Use hyphens between words, no spaces or underscores
- Do NOT use
# $ * & @ ‘ % : / \ ? ! ;All these characters have special meaning.
Image Size and Resolution
- Send photos in .jpg or .png format please as attachments (1920px wide @ 188dpi is preferred).
- Do not embed them in your document or email.